Ken was raised on a dry-land wheat farm in North Dakota, that was homesteaded by his grandfather in 1898. He attended the local small-town junior college, and then went on to earn a Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from North Dakota State University in 1973.
After graduating from NDSU, Ken was hired as an electrical engineer by the US Navy at the Naval Undersea Warfare Center (NUWC) in Keyport, WA. He retired as a GS-12 senior software engineer on 28 June 2007, after 30 years of service at NUWC-Keyport.
Ken started visiting Okanogan County on a regular basis over 25 years ago, and bought 10 acres of riverfront property in the Upper Methow Valley in 1982. He started building a home on his Methow acres in 1996. Ken enjoys working on his house; managing his small tract of forest land with his 4WD John Deere tractor; and hiking, skiing, and white-water river-running all over (did 3500+ river miles in western US, Alaska, and Canada).
He does what he can to oppose efforts by left-wing, eco-extremist, big-government liberals to turn Washington State into their dark vision of a socialist worker's "paradise".
- Actively involved in Methow Valley and Okanogan County water, land use, and development issues for over 20 years.
- Worked on draft language, contributed $, and gathered signatures for the I-933 Property Fairness Initiative sponsored by Washington State Farm Bureau in 2006.
- Active member of the Okanogan County Farm Bureau.
- Have testified on multiple occasions in front of Washington State Legislative committees, and at two Congressional field hearings in Eastern Washington.
- Volunteer member of Okanogan County Salmon Recovery Steering Committee.
- Candidate for Okanogan County Public Utility District Commissioner in 2006.
- Voted in Okanogan County since 1997.
- Okanogan County PCO in the Methow Valley since 2000.
- Alternate delegate to the 2008 GOP National Convention.
- Member of the Evergreen Freedom Foundation.
- Member of the Upper Methow Valley Mazama Community Club.
- Supporter of the Methow Valley Nordic Ski Team.
Support private property rights and 2nd Amendment rights.
- Oppose judges "legislating from the bench".
- Government would work SO much better if common sense was not so UNcommon.
- Favorite quote*: *"Oh, for just ONE hour of Teddy Roosevelt !"